One patient, like so many others who have seen the Quatre Leaf’s shows, said “thanks to the passionate performance of all the cast ? my spirits were lifted and it made it not so bad to be in hospital.” This comment came from a patient who attended a musical performed on campus while I was a student at Tokyo Women’s Medical University. I never expected to hear such a comment, as it was just a performance by students who like to perform. The joy of providing someone with a positive experience by doing something I liked provided me with a passion for Quatre Leaf, our performance group.
When I was working as a trainee doctor in Tokyo medical center, I started to think that I wanted to help patients have fun while in the hospital. I did a musical performance with friends from University and colleagues from the hospital in 2000, which was the origin of Quatre Leaf.
Thanks to Dr Shigeaki Hinohara’s great help, the troupe became an incorporated non-profit organization (NPO) in 2009. Our performances are typically original musicals, including “The Four Seasons Freddie the Leaf” whose script was written by Dr Hionohara and based on the book “The Fall of Freddie the Leaf”’ by Leo Buscaglia. We do about 20 performances in facilities such as hospitals or nursing homes.
Quatre Leaf owes its success to its approximately 60 members and 180 supporters. We enjoy performing and try our best to sing, dance and act, for one purpose: to bring about the smiles of the patients and their families. We hope to see more smiles result from our passions.
Inspired by the passion and determination of the two founders and their supporters, I have decided to support and set up this NPO in order to support Quatre Leaf in fulfilling its mission to encourage the recovery of hospital patients by making their stay in the hospital a little more fun.
Asumi Nakamura, M.D.
NPO Quatre Leaf
Quatre Leaf was established in 2001 to perform live musicals, mainly at hospitals, schools for special needs children, and elderly care homes, and was incorporated as an NPO in 2009.
We produce one original musical production each year. The script, music, costumes ? everything ? all are made by members of the troupe.
We perform for about 20 hospitals, schools, and elderly care homes per year. Since 2001, we have performed approximately 250 times and for 20,000 people.
Our over 50 members are typically doctors, nurses, professionals, and students whose hard work and weekend practice are focused on bringing cheer to those who need it most.
The performance features:
- Suitable themes for every age
- Choreography which includes sign language
- Each performance is typically under and hour
- Accessible to patients in wheel chairs and stretchers
- Flexible with space, and easily held in a meeting room or gymnastic hall
- National Hospital Organization Tokyo Medical Center
- Tokyo Women’s Medical University Hospital
- Tokyo Metropolitan Komei School for Special Needs
- Miyazaki Hospital
Cast and staff to create a musical performance together for Quatre Leaf
- We would like to hear from people who love musical theatre, who are looking for volunteer activities, want to bring smiles to others’ faces and help deliver the performance with professionally and responsibly . No prior theatre experience is required. All ages and genders welcome.
- To become a member, please contact us through our homepage.
Individuals who would like help provide financial support to Quatre Leaf
- receive a Quatre Leaf newsletter
- are requested to provide an annual fee of 3,000 yen, which is used carefully to cover the costs of costume and set materials, and for running the organization.
Please consider a donation by making payment to Yucho Bank
Account number: 10610-1895861
Applications for supporter and members firstname.lastname@example.org
Performance dates and other queries email@example.com